Thursday, September 13, 2007

my sister

Had a visit from my sister and her husband the last 2 days. I enjoyed it so much, I thought it was worthy of a blog. When we were growing up, we didn't get along that good. I must have been the bratty little sister. As our own children were growing up, things were good. But I wouldn't say we were best friends. She was pretty busy making a living and raising her kids. Her husband had a job that was weather dependent, so her paycheck was a must. Me, on the other hand, had it pretty easy on myself because Wayne always had a great steady job. And for the most part, I was able to be a housewife, although I did clean houses for almost 30 years parttime. But I never had to depend on myself like she had to do. 2 years ago we lost our oldest sister to cancer. That was a very rude awakening I think for both of us. Since then, we have coveted the time we have together. My sister got to retire last summer and I was so happy for her. She deserves it, she has worked HARD all her life. I think she's a much more relaxed and happy person now.

On this visit, I was comfortable enough to unload my burdens with her. She listened and was so understanding. She could have thought--well girl, you've had it pretty easy, don't cry on my shoulder. But that was not her reaction at all. She has really been supportive and has helped in ways she could.

Since my oldest sister died, we have made a point to tell each other we love one another. I think it was awkward at first, but now it's music to my ears.

Love your siblings, once they're gone-they're gone.

5 comments:

  1. Mary Ann: thats easier said than done with my siblings.........ha ha...yeah right! i love my brothers and their wives and i'm so glad that we're all so close. love you too mom and dad! glad you had a good time with the allens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark: That's awesome, mom. Y'all are lucky...my sister's so annoying, and now I gotta work with her too. Haha
    No, I really love my siblings but don't tell them enough. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa: Dang I wish you guys knew my brother! Talk about hard to get along with. I do try to love him though, but it's real hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dianna: You know... you are so right. My sister and I did not get along either growing up either. I definitely was the bratty baby sister. For some reason, she reached out to me oh I guess when I was about 15 and she was 20. We have always gotten along since then. I am so thankful to have her. It makes me feel good to have someone to connect with from the core. (If that make sense) I do love her and there is a unique bond with siblings besides sharing a womb. Good Blogging girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rusty: Hey Aint tee.....lol, that was a good story. I thought I would visit your page and look what I ran into. I'm glad you and my mom are closer and you're right, you should take advantage of every minute you have. My sister lives 13 hours away and I don't get to see her as much or talk to her as much, but we should talk more often. Especially with technology like I'm using right at this moment. Most times when we talk, we do tell each other I love you. We also were not as close growing up because I was the little aggrevating brother. But now, as we have both matured and have families of our own, things are great. Actually, we started getting along better around the time she got married. Anyway, I was touched by what you wrote. Saying "I love you" is something I didn't hear a lot when I was growing up. I make it a point to tell my son that everyday. He's 9 1/2 years old and I still tell him. I guess since I didn't hear that growing up, I wanted to make sure that my son heard it plenty. Anyway, I'll quit blabbing. I'm glad everything went well with uncle wayne. Hope you are doing good as well. I'll let ya go....

    P.S. Love you and Uncle Wayne. Wish I could see all of you Texans more often.

    Rusty

    ReplyDelete