I am witnessing 3 generations of fathers. They are all wonderful, but in their own way.
The first one of course, being My Father. His generation was usually the provider for the family. And so, that's what they were good at. They are also known as the Greatest Generation. My dad was a good example of honest hard work, integrity and love. He was also the head honcho in discipline. If he had to step in to discipline, I must have done something really bad. I remember kissing Wayne good-bye on the carport one Sunday afternoon.(when we were dating) We were right there in view of Daddy's recliner. Maybe it was one of those wet kisses, I don't remember, but he flew out of that chair and followed me to my bedroom(as I had to get ready for evening church). He gave me a piece of his mind and would have given me a piece of his belt if my mom had not stepped in to save the day(I got smart with him, which is the only time I can remember doing that). Whew! I must have looked like some kind of slut in his eyes, kissing in broad daylight for the neighbors to see(IF they happen to be looking out their windows at that very moment). I can't remember if I apologized for being disrespectful. Think I'll do that today, b/c you see, I am still lucky enough to have my daddy. I remember my daddy working graveyard all week(11p.m.-7a.m.). And on the Saturday morning after, he called for me to come to his bedroom. He just wanted to hug me, b/c he hadn't seen me all week. Man!! WHAT a FEELING. I'm 56 yrs. old and that still affects me. The mother never went anywhere alone, or at least that's the way I remember it, but I do remember going to my grandmother's with just me and Daddy. He even let me drive there, and patiently drove his truck out of the ditch I had run into. Then put me back in the driver's seat and said go. I remember going fishing with him in a swampy looking creek and eating watermelon til I was about to pop. I was not a bed-wetter, but I was that night. Never eat alot of watermelon before bedtime.(especially if there's no indoor plumbing, if you know what I mean). But mom's never retreated for a weekend or went out for the evening. How did they do it?? Then the next generation of fathers came along, which brings me to the 2nd set:
The second one is My husband. Now they still have the mindset of providing for the family b/c it had been modeled to them. I wanted to stay home with my children, just felt that was right for me. He was agreeable with that. Even though I cleaned houses parttime, he still worked on the side-building stuff or doing plumbing. But he never missed a ballgame of his children if he could help it. Whether he had to trade shifts or work overtime to make up for it, he was always there. This generation let the moms discipline as they didn't want to spend what time they had being "mean". This father can sit and visit with his children and talk just about anything. He says "nothing can surprise him" hmmmmm? This is the baby boom generation who also became known as the hippy generation, although this father is the complete opposite. He has a good work ethic and shows up for work sometimes an hour early, (in case he had a flat). At work, there are no excuses. He learned that from the previous fathers. This father would keep the kids for a weekend, so that mommy dearest could retreat for awhile. Or for a night, for me to go to a movie. He kept our 3 month old baby girl while I took the boys to the Houston Rodeo. I was still nursing at the time. We were the first generation to have the fathers in the delivery room, although it didn't start until our 3rd time around. That really made a difference in his involvement in caring for our infant. Which brings us to the third set:
The third is My sons. They have a much different role than the fathers before them. From day one of their children's lives, they have played an active role, a shared responsibility with the mothers. They are known as the X generation. I never have liked that. What does that mean, anyway??? It sounds so negative. These fathers are anything but negative. They share in baths, feedings, playtime, discipline and probably much more than I can think of now. Their children don't see a difference in whose caring for them at the moment, b/c both parents are active equally in their lives. This generation usually has both parents working, sometimes b/c they have to, sometimes b/c they want to. And that works these days b/c the fathers have stepped it up a few notches.
Just to say, they ALL have been a vital part in who we are. And I'm proud of all the fathers in my life.
Nuff said!
No comments:
Post a Comment