Monday, July 14, 2008

Stupid Strikes Again

DSC_0244

Before you say anything- I have already and am still going thru a horrific time about this. As you probably know by now, I broke my foot last week. I had gotten very comfortable driving with my left foot. Not driving more than I had to and definitely not on the highway. I am very situated in the truck so as to have my booted right foot well out of the way on the "hump", with the seat pulled up and my body turned "just so" so my left foot had the reach it needed. I had just pulled in the driveway and put my foot on the brake. It happened so fast, I'm assuming my foot slipped and hit the gas. My natural instinct was to reach for the brake with my right foot which just pushed my left foot again on the gas. As you can see in the pictures the house stopped my truck.

..:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />

The scary thing is- I was just saying to myself that I had this all worked out and it would be fine driving with my left foot. People do this out of necessity and this was a necessity. Then this happened just moments after I was thinking this. The thing I did not count on is the natural instinct to use the right foot in the case of emergency. As long as things are going fine, it's ok; but when you need to react quickly, the instinct is to do it with the right. So please, please tell anyone you know, not to think it's ok to drive like this, for any reason. You never know when you'll have to act quick, and believe me- you will never be prepared!!!

A number of things could have happened to make this situation worse.

1. Wayne was on the porch getting ready to take the truck to look at a job, could have already been right there.

2. If Matthew had woke up 20 minutes earlier, he would have been sitting there drinking coffee and smoking

3. Maya could have easily been playing in the drive or yard

4. Last but certainly not least-this could have happened in traffic

Needless to say, I learned my lesson. As inconvenient as it's going to be, I will NOT be driving for 4-6 wks. I keep having bouts of " out of the blue" crying in response to the visions of what could have been. Feeling so-o-o remorseful and ashamed. I could not have lived with myself if I had hurt or killed someone.

I'm trying to look at this as a blessing to have learned this without anyone getting hurt. I'm a little sore in the shoulders, arms and ribs, but nothing my chiropractor can't help me with.

Wayne has been a dear, just like our daddy. So calm, collected and comforting. He's held me and not complained one bit. God has raised him to the occasion health wise.

Perhaps Mary Ann will do the honors of posting the pics of my truck attached to my house.

Moral of this blog: Don't try this at home, it brings nothing but heartache!

No comments:

Post a Comment