Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Engaged--39 years ago!!!

I was about to enter my senior year in high school. He had just signed up with the Air Force. It was a troubled summer for him. He graduated from high school in May and moved out of his parents home with his best friend Tommy. Of course we thought we were really grown-up. I don't think they had the garage apt. a month before Tommy decided to go in the navy and Wayne decided to go in the Air Force. Paying bills was a little more than they had anticipated.

We didn't know when the service would call him for duty, so the next thing in order was to get engaged. I remember my parents were on vacation, and when they came back, Wayne asked my Daddy for my hand in marriage. It was really sweet but scary too. As it turned out, they called him for duty December 19. I saw him off at the bus station, then had to go participate with my school choir in a Christmas concert. I was miserable.

He was in basic training all thru the holidays. Christmas day, I couldn't stand it anymore, so I made a call to his barracks. His sergeant answered, I asked for Robert Wayne Fuller. They called him to the office to answer the phone and said " boy, where's that girl from?" Wayne said "Sir, Monroe, Louisiana, Sir" They said "with that accent, she had to be from the south!!" I asked him what they were doing for Christmas. He told me they were having a GI party. I started crying, assuming they had already corrupted my husband to be. He said "no, no, a GI party is where we scrub the floors." I think they have them do that to get their minds off of being away from home on the holidays. It saddened me to think that's how they spend Christmas Day. The last Christmas he gave me a Promise Ring. That was a new thing then. A promise to engagement of course.

I didn't see him again until 5 wks later, when he could leave the base. His parents and his younger brother and I came for the week-end. I stayed with my Uncle Roy and Aunt Edna and they stayed in a motel close to the base. Uncle Roy showed us around San Antonio, but all Wayne and I wanted was to be together

Those were the days!!!!

Well, that's all, just thought I'd give it a place to be.

3 comments:

  1. Dianna: That is really so sweet. I really do love it when you share your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark: How cool. I didn't know a lot of that, Mom. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me: There's lots more where that came from. We were so sweet together. God, I love him!!

    ReplyDelete