Tuesday, January 6, 2009
A Grateful Heart
People always told me how great it was to have grandchildren. They were wrong. Anything I ever heard cannot hold a candle to how great it truly is. A feeling I was very receptive to, but surprised all the same. A blog on that at a later date.Another feeling that has surprised me is my love for my parents. I love my parents as much as I ever have, but it's different than before. I'm not even sure when the feeling took place, I just want to give it a voice now. So many times we wait til we lose someone we love before we really know what they mean to us. Well, I have had a revelation on the subject and needed to jot it down while it's fresh on my mind. (these days thoughts don't stay on my mind long) lolI have always looked to my parents for protection and security and support. It has occurred to me-I don't see them in that way anymore. Instead, I feel protective over them. I find myself attempting to be supportive and encouraging to them in their own struggle for normal in their aging years. Things I would have told them in the past, I keep to myself. My dad has always been a worrier for us girls and our families. I don't want to burden him. He just can't help himself--it's in his blood.The gratitude I have for the life they gave us girls is overwhelming. I only wish I could do more for them. On cards I send I try to write about a fond memory I have from growing up. All they really care about is spending time with us. My resolution for the new year, now that Wayne is feeling better is to visit more often. In the past, we would visit once a month, but it was always a very short visit, b/c Wayne would need to get back to our business. In the past, they would visit, but now they hardly travel at all.I feel so fortunate to still have my parents living. I want to take every opportunity to see them often. If you think about it, there is an age you think of yourself still being. And if you don't, then you're too young. You haven't arrived yet, so enjoy the ride as long as you can. Anyway, back to what I was saying.... Did you know that you still think of that age as you get older. I asked my mom a few years back and she agreed. You never feel as old as you really are. Sometimes to the point there is a stranger in the mirror looking back at you. She might look like your mother. I've been told all my life I look like my mom. I was told that just these past holidays. My sister and I are trying to empty out our parents attic. They don't need to be up there at all for any reason. We've ran into some great memories up there. I caught myself telling my Mom--Dad should carry the cell phone with him when he's outside doing stuff, in case he should fall--- Her reply was---your sister has already had that conversation with him. It's not what you know, it's what you do with what you know.---- How true THAT is. I enjoy watching football games, Wheel of Fortune, and any western that's on with them. My mom and I flip thru magazines together and watch HGTV and Food Network channels after Daddy goes to bed. When I'm there, I feel like someone's daughter again, but now it's a grown up daughter. I haven't always felt that way. I'm pushing 57, it's about time. I'll have to watch it with my own kids and remember they are all grown up now. That's a hard one to swallow. It's like a vitamin you need to take everyday. No matter how old we get--we're still someone's child. I'm ok with that. I've had a wonderful upbringing, so it's a great trade off.OK I'm through jotting down, I think.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dianna: That is a very sweet one, Libby. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteMelanie: How blessed you are. I remember after losing Mom that I said now I am nobody's daughter. But now I realize I am God's daughter. I am so happy for you that you still have them and can help them. I am glad Wayne is feeling better too. Sounds like there is no need to remind you to treasure these years with them. God bless
ReplyDeleteRick: You are right, sometimes I look in the mirror and see my fathers eyes, and my mothers features. I wonder am I becoming my parents? We try so hard as kids not to be like them, but it is in the genes that it happens, and I am also happy that it happened.
ReplyDeleteMary Ann: I heard you call Papaw 'daddy' one time (well lots of times but this one in particular) and it made me think about how my mom was a daughter too. All the things that I look to you for, you look to her for. And the same with dad and papaw. I don't know where I am going with this but I just remember realizing that one day. Good blog, mom!
ReplyDeleteMark: Awesome blog, Mom.
ReplyDeleteMe: Thank you, thank you thank you, one and all! Just sharing a little of what's going thru my head and tugging at my heart
ReplyDeleteShelby: Very deep G A Libby....
ReplyDeletei think u have touched my heart, or i just skipped a heart beat while reading this,
it was sweet and very touching.
i lyk it. great blog:]
Brenda: WOW, GIRL YOU REALY GOT IT RIGHT .I WAS LATE READING THIS BUT BETTER LATE THAN NEVER. SO TRUE AND SO WELL PUT.
ReplyDeleteMe: Thanks, Brenda. It's good to hear from you on the blog scene. Take care.
ReplyDelete