Here's a word from Susie-Homemaker: I'm back-k-k!! Yes, I've been away for some time now, but I wasn't dead, for crying out loud!! I am best noted in the last few years, to cook only for holidays and sometimes birthdays. It's a long story, but hey, if you don't want to read it, don't. You know I'm wordy and detailed, so you know what you're in for.HA!
It all started with Mary Ann's high school basketball games and practices, with Wayne working shift work. Yes, yes, Mary Ann, it's your fault. I never liked the idea of fixing a meal and everyone eating separately on their own schedule. So if we weren't going to be together, then we'd grab something later. Of course, after home games, it was always Tejas for us. God, I miss that place!!!
Next phase--Wayne and I went fulltime in the deck business he started years ago on the side. I found myself actually working along side Wayne. With that being said, would anyone in their right mind come home and cook??? There was no energy. Back then, we showered and dressed and went out to dinner. I can't imagine peeling Wayne out of the recliner now days to do that!! Then we ran out of energy to do that, so would buy take out. (I love where we live, so close to all the eating places) If I remember right the fast food started when our sweet Rebekah was born. We would rush home, shower and grab fast food so we could race to their house and stare or rock the baby. Oh, such fun!! I mean it when I say raced! Who could get to and thru the door first.
Next phase--Mary Ann started college basketball. We were off and running all over East Texas to watch her play. One game was always on the weekend, so no cooking then either. After two years of doing this we settled down to camping on the weekends. That was really fun for awhile, no more comments on that!
Next phase--Now I'm just plain old and tired from working with Wayne and eventually going back to cleaning houses again. Still no cooking!!
Next phase--Went from working to being diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis--yada yada yada surgery yada yada yada radiation yada yada yada no energy by the end of the day yada yada yada and just out of the habit of even thinking about cooking.
I'm not proud of what I'm noted for. And now I have the chance to redeem myself. I'm cooking now, because I need to,but I find myself wanting to. I feel needed or useful where as before I didn't. I feel I'm contributing to us. I catch myself thinking about it more, though I'll never be a great cook. And that's ok, because we still have Rick cooking now and again. Lisa's cooking is always a welcomed treat also. So there's no threat with me being back in the kitchen, we still take hand-outs. HA!
My reputation is so well known, my parents back home joke about it. Oh, well, I'm glad I can make them laugh. I hope to have them around awhile longer, At 55, I still learn from them. ( you'd think not, but it's so!!)
Mary Ann: i'm happy. i loved the meatloaf the other night. i'll have to find away to have kim read this blog. she'd get a kick out of it. love you
ReplyDeleteMe in reply to Mary Ann: Oh! my reputation is more wide-spread than I remembered!!! Tell her I love her and pray she's still on the straight and narrow. lol Send her my chocolate blog too.
ReplyDeleteDianna: Dear Susie:
ReplyDeleteI was just wondering if you had any easy fun recipes that my husband might like. I too am just now getting into cooking for my family. The first 7 years of our marriage, we ate out all the time. We still do on the weekends. The last two years he worked pretty much 7 days a week and never got home before 8:30. So now that big project is over and he gets home at 4:15. I LOVE IT! Anyway, I am just learning to cook and I find myself cooking the same few things over and over. Remember, I did NOT grow up in a home where meals were ever cooked.
He won't eat:
vegetables except green beans and corn
anything with onions
fruit
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Love you!
Keep blogging!