Sunday, January 3, 2010

2009 at a glance, yeah well, a long glance!

2009 was here, but now it's gone. This is an attempt to look back and be blessed.

January: found me back in Monroe to attend my cousin's New Year Eve and birthday party, with my parents. They do this every year, but I don't get the pleasure of going EVERY year. I came home in time to sing on Worship Team.
The next weekend found me in Dallas, visiting my oldest grandson, Jeremy and his family for our belated Christmas time. This is an annual trip Mary Ann and I take,( and Wayne if he can). We got to see him in one of his basketball games in a youth league. He is VERY good, (if I do say so myself), but he didn't have much patience with the teammates who weren't, (which was ALL of them). He's played this game since he could hold a ball, mostly with adults and has really developed good basketball skills. It probably helps that his dad has been coaching basketball in a private school since before he was born. Our usual plan was followed as we went to church with him and his mother, had lunch, played a little drive-way basketball and headed back to Conroe.

Sometime in early January, I attended a Dave Ramsey Seminar with Mark, Lisa and Mary Ann. Lots of good info retained. Just need the money to use it on. But seriously, I've really been able to pay off some bills and I'm more watchful where the money's going.

February: This month started off pretty profitable, sitting with my elderly next door neighbors, 4 hrs. a day (my choosing) 5 days a week. Their children took the weekends. Worked out great-they needed the help and I needed the income and I wanted to be near Wayne if he needed me. God has never failed us and continues to bless us.

The first weekend took Wayne and me back to Dallas to attend a bridal shower for Wayne's neice. Since Wayne didn't get to see Jeremy in January, we went over after lunch Sunday for a visit. Wayne and Jeremy played basketball in the drive-way. For future reference--ANYTIME we see Jeremy, basketball is played, no matter the weather.

The second weekend Wayne and I went to Monroe for my mom's 82 birthday. Any extended family who chooses get together at an "all you can eat buffet" called Barnhill's to celebrate the birthdays. It's a mini family reunion and lots of fun.

March: While sitting with the neighbors in February, I took a call that the neighbor wasn't able to handle and thought I might be interested. It was an opportunity to be in a mock jury for 2 days for $500. I checked it out on the net and it was legitimate. Talked it over with the neighbors, making sure they could get a substitute and all was set to take place the first week of this month. This was definitely rewarding. It was held in a plush Hotel on the lake with breakfast, lunch and 2 snacks served during breaks. Very informative, but very tiring and even got a little testy with some of the jurors. Some took it TOO serious. It was good to get back to my peaceful little world with my neighbors.

The 2nd weekend Mary Ann and I were back in Dallas. This time for Wayne's neice's wedding. We stayed the first night with Jeremy and met Mark and Alex the next day at the hotel where the wedding was held. We had booked a suite for the 4 of us plus Matthew, Ashleigh and Maya to stay the night. It was fun to see Maya as we don't see her as often as we'd like. They are busy in Austin and we are busy here, plus Wayne really not feeling up to traveling. It will be different this year. The wedding was beautiful and she made a point of wanting ALL her family in her wedding photos only to not ever seeing the photos EVER. Paid lots of money, forgot what happened exactly, but how disappointing that was for her. The reception was a lot of fun, dancing and visiting with other relatives. It was a good time had by all.

This neighbor sitting job got the attention of my elderly neighbors across the street who needed transportation help, so I was able to help them also. They all were so cooperative in being flexible for one another. This all aside from picking my grandson up from preschool and keeping him a couple of hrs. every other Monday til Mark got off work. His mom is Girl Scout Leader of my granddaughter, Rebekah. Oh, I also have Bible Study weekly and worship team practice weekly.

I went to Monroe the last weekend of March but can't remember if it was for anything special or a routine visit with my parents, which ARE pretty special these days.

April: Was happy and sad. Sad because my neighbor was moved to an assisted living in the Alzheimer Unit. It was on Good Friday. It was sad because it just got to a point the wife was not able to handle it alone when I wasn't there. She was also bombarded with one of her children and his offspring in a very ugly and disrespectful manner. She's 81, why is she expected to endure this. This is a very sad disease, losing someone you've spent a lifetime with. She's doing much better now and not so guilt-ladened. We thought she'd be able to take him to church and do other normal things, but wasn't the case. Once in their care, they take full responsibility for them. They say it confuses them to go in and out, that they need to feel secure in their new surroundings where everything is scheduled and dependable. He happens to be at the same home we go sing at and serve ice cream every Sunday afternoon. I still get to see him and his wife comes too and sings with him.

The happy time is going home for my dad's 85th birthday. Same as before--meet at Barnhill's for extended family time. Good times!!

Mix a little Maya, Alex and Rebekah time here and there, makes sweet memories on the weekends. Easter came and went. Hiding eggs for a week or so after Easter.

My birthday is mixed in this month also.

May: Was another month of being happy and sad. Happy because I got to spend Mother's day with my mom only to come home to my neighbor across the street being moved to the hospice floor of the hospital. He died the next day- Monday. Two weeks before, he was admitted in the hospital from one of our trips to the doctor and he never left. Infection had gone too far. They had a wonderful memorial service for him.

This is also the month, I lost one of my oldest and dearest friends. No, not by death, but because of a very unstable mental condition. And NO! NOT ME!! I had to let go of who she used to be and come to the realization that I had enough on my plate and could not do anymore for her. I wish her well, but she is unstable and I believe dangerous.

Alex's birthday is at the end of the month and was celebrated at Chuckie Cheese. Cute little people-all his little friends.

June, July and August: Ashleigh's birthday is the 4th of June celebrated by camping on the Guadeloupe river, for the weekend. This is a tradition for her birthday kicking off the summer months with tubing down the river.

My mother's family reunion is held on the 2nd weekend of June. A couple of years ago, we started having it at a church in the community my mother was born and raised in. It's a great place--out of the heat. The church is most gracious.

Father's day is hard to go home for because we always have just been there for the reunion. We usually spend it here.

Then there's Wayne's birthday on the 30th of June, which he didn't want to do anything this year. He just has not yet felt good since all the ablations. Things have sort of settled down with the neighbors, just periodically going to doctors doing misc. errands for them.

Just a few days later was Lisa's birthday-the 6th of July, a milestone celebrated with family and friends with a murder mystery party-luau style-poolside with all the trimmings.

Sometime, I think the latter part of July, we were told Maya was going to be a big sister. Due sometime in February. Exciting!!!

August brought Mark's birthday the 24th also celebrated with family and friends and karaoke and piƱata.

September: Witnessed our sweet Rebekah turning 12, the 1st. Her last year before delving into the teen years. We had a small gathering but she's getting the age wanting to celebrate with her friends. She had a slumber party with a contest dressing in '80s fashion, topped with a competitive treasure hunt.
And Jeremy turning 8, the 3rd, the same day Wayne had a new pacemaker put in. The Cadillac of all pacemakers designed to help stop the flutters. Mary Ann and I made our way up to Jeremy later in the month to celebrate his day.

I think it was September when we found out the baby is a boy. Very undecided about a name. I'm sure when the time comes, he will have the perfect name for him. See how I've already forgotten when things happened? Hence the blog, it's more for me than anyone else who might read it.

October: Maya's 3rd birthday was next on the 4th. We all went over to Austin for a funfilled day celebrating with maybe 4-6 crafts to create. We ate later on at an Italian restaurant, afterwards Lisa, me and the kids headed back to Conroe. I had singing the next morning at church.

Matthew's next on the 17th celebrated here at Mark's house with family and friends and games.
Wayne made his way Dove hunting this month. Long overdue. He needed to get out and have some fun. I went to Monroe to visit my parents, the same weekend.

Sometime this month, I gouged my eye while taking my contact out. Eyes have really been dry and it's hard to take them out. Finally got over it. It was painful for 2 or 3 days. Couldn't wear contacts for a while. Didn't even want to. ha! Had a ct scan of abdominal area for pain I'd been experiencing. Turned out to be diverticulitis.

November: Mary Ann's birthday is the last to be had on the 15th. She had dinner planned at a mexican restaurant downtown Houston followed by Pete's Dual Piano Bar, on the 14th. I went to the dinner then came home. Matthew and Ashleigh didn't make it and Lisa's dad passed away the day before so they didn't go.
Thanksgiving was one of Lisa's dad's favorite holidays, so her mom wanted to get away and do something different this year. So we celebrated Thanksgiving with Matthew, Ashleigh and Maya and Mary Ann of course. Mark and Lisa and kids went to Moody Gardens with her mom.

I went to Monroe Saturday after Thanksgiving and stayed til Monday. Had trouble taking contact out again. Haven't wore them since. Need to go to eye dr. and discuss my options. Been wearing glasses and have even had a few compliments. shock!!

December: This brings me full circle. We had Sunday School Christmas party, Bible Study party, and got together with extended family at my parents the weekend before Christmas. Everyone was there but Wayne and my niece, Stacie. And darn, I can't believe we didn't take a picture of all of us. It's really hard to get everyone at the same time coming from North Carolina and us from Texas.

Came home that Sunday only to find out Monday morning my good friend Kathy was in the hospital with heart problems. She had a heart-cath done Tuesday, a defibulator put in Christmas Eve and went home mid morning Christmas day.

We had our Christmas dinner in the evening, giving Matthew and Ashleigh time to come from Austin. We had a fire in the firepit on the driveway and Wayne cooked steaks. We had salad, deluxe mashed potatoes, spinach, grilled bacon peppers, broccoli rice casserole, chips and guacamole,, pasta salad, macaroni and cheese, bundt cake, pumpkin pie, strawberry shortcake. I think that's all. Gifts were opened and enjoyed by all.
The oil company Wayne works for sold to another company and after much to do--applications, interviews, and physicals, he now works for the new company. Hopefully to be put on straight days. He needs this bad, but we are very thankful for a job. Thank you Lord.

The 30th, Mary Ann and I went to a friends retirement party. Good to see her grown children and their children after all these years. Her brother died in Mississippi that night so early the 31st they packed it up and drove there. Which left me taking her friend from Budapest to the airport.

New Year's Eve started off a little on the lazy side followed by a little shopping. I think I might have broken a record in buying 3 purses at 3 different places on 3 different days, only to take them all back--3 different times. Ha! I kill me!! Anyway, I picked up Elona and we headed to the airport, got her checked in at the hotel and made a trial run to terminal B on the underground train and back to the hotel to the restaurant on top and devour chicken quesadillas at the bar. I thinks I've made another good friend. That's how I brought the new year in. Rather quiet ride to a quiet home. So we will be looking forward to meeting little Harrison Phoenix? Harrison River? Harrison Wayne??

So that, Libby, is year 2009 at a glance. Recorded for future reference if memory fails me.

p.s. My daughter gave me permission to also add that her divorce was final March5th of '09.
I wasn't going to say anything about it. Didn't want to chance upsetting anyone.

This is me labeling as I see it.







1 comment:

  1. Nice summary, Mom. Except, you forgot about your daughter getting divorced in March - big year! Haha ;-)

    ReplyDelete