Saturday, April 9, 2011

Visiting Betty Boobs

This is a couple of weeks late, but just couldn't muster up blogging time, as I've heard it could appear one being narcissistic. I think twice about it now before blogging. I just want to document my times that are important to me. Maybe I should make this a private blog. Still thinking. Made it public to begin with to document my best friend dying of cancer, for other friends to stay updated with the latest. That's over now...so now what??

Wayne had some training to do in Mississippi last month. Traveling would take him just north of Slidell, La., where my friend Betty lives now. So the plan was to be dropped off in Slidell. As it turned out, she was closing on sale of her house in Walden the Friday before the training. So I was able to ride back to Slidell with her, Monday morning. (she loves having me drive and I love doing the driving) Didn't have to put up with 8 guys on the road or wait while they toured the plant in Denham Springs.

By default, we stopped in Lafayette to eat a little lunch. Ended up downtown at Don's Seafood. There was a couple seated near us. She looked really familiar, so much that I followed them exiting the place and asked her if she was Phyllis Foster. (a girl we went to school with in Monroe) Why yes, it was!!! We had a great little visit. It was really a big coincidence to meet her there as we had missed our original place to eat in a previous town and they up from Morgan City for a follow-up visit from cataract surgery. And I had forgotten also they she married Harvey Hammonds, an older brother of a schoolmate of mine from elementary.

On with the trip, Slidell bound. We just rested that night, eating take -home red beans and rice with sausage and chicken. Oh, and bread pudding, all from Don's. That night was the first night of Dancing With the Stars and we both love it.

The next morning, we were at a clinic for her 2nd mammogram. Fun times indeed, I tell you!! ha! Afterwards we scoped out "old Town Slidell", ate lunch at a great place, can't remember the name. (see that's why I want to blog, I forget things!!) After lunch, we visited the Who Dat store, followed by antique and consignment stores.

Pretty much the same thing the next couple of days. She had her sights on furniture while I had my eye on "cat things" and shelf to display cat salt & pepper sets. I specifically did not want to eat at chain places. I wanted to feast on the cajun specialties. Well, Vera's place took care of that notion. I had Seafood Gumbo and OMG! Well, never mind.

All in all, I had a wonderful relaxing time with my friend Betty. We wore ourselves out in the daytime, all we had energy for at night was a bite to eat in front of the tv. She has a wonderful townhome on a bayou off Lake Pontchartrain. Think that's how it's spelled?? She has settled in quite nicely and I'm happy for her. I've known Betty for a long time and have taken many trips to New Orleans with her. We have many memories and she still puts up with me.

It all came to an end, Friday afternoon when we met Wayne and the guys on Interstate 12 headed back to Conroe. I should also mention Wayne's boss is originally from Houma, Louisiana, and he had us stop in Lake Charles at Steamboat Bill's Seafood. Mind you, this was on a Friday night. This place is so busy, they have parking attendants directing the parking. A most unusual place, one I suggest anyone going thru to try.

Although I missed not seeing my cats and dogs, husband and daughter, it was a nice weird just taking care of me. Thank you Father God for great Christian friendship, and give Kathy a hug for me. I do miss her terribly. She's still the first person I wanted to call and yakadeeyak about my visit with Betty. Labeling as I see it.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Libby, I love reading your thoughts and hearing about your experiences. I'm sorry someone made you feel narcissistic about sharing your life. I've been missing your blog and wondered if you had already made it private for some reason. Your girls' weekend sounds wonderful! I'm sure it put a big smile on Kathy's face too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gwen for your sweet words. And I love reading your thoughts as you go thru this valley.

    ReplyDelete