Thursday, February 24, 2011

Phoenix Turns One yr. old & Making Way For Camden

We (Mary Ann and I) started our trip to Austin with a pedicure Saturday morning. Wayne had to work, so this trip gives me one up on sweet talking Phoenix to loving me. Otherwise, he wouldn't give me the time of day. His birthday party was themed around "balls", since he seems to really like balls alot. Ashleigh made little cake balls, a fantastic job, I might add. There were cheese balls, melon balls, blueberries, grapes, and trix cereal to munch on along with the #1little sandwiches. The older kids later made balls out of Rice Krispy mix.
There were all sizes and colors of balls to play with, including the kind you punch over and over. I must say, Rebekah was key in playing some games with them. Duck, Duck, Goose being one of them and another one I don't remember. The other grandmother had them play Mother May I.

When they put his little personal size birthday cake in front of him to sing Happy Birthday to him, he wasn't a big fan of getting into it. He did, however like the idea of his mommy feeding it to him a bite at a time. If you see any pictures of him with cake all over him, it wasn't his doing. Others were trying to encourage him to dive into it, by placing his hands on the cake. No matter how ya look at it, he was and is adorable.

He wasn't to comfortable with me so I never forced myself on him. He did take to Mary Ann pretty quick. After the party, we went to their house where he was more comfortable in his surrounding. Hung out a bit, 'til deciding to go out to eat. Matthew picked a great place called Phil's Icehouse. Had a great playground and outdoor eating spots. The kids loved the playground and again Beka was great about pushing Alex and Maya around on the equipment. Adults loved the food, at least I did. May be the best burger I've ever had. When I was finished eating I offered to try taking Phoenix so Ashleigh could eat. (they had messed her order up) Surprise!!!!! He came to me with no fuss and I held him in a cuddled position (wind was rough) for about an hour or more, watching the kids play. I was loving it!

We said our good-byes to Mark, Lisa and kids who were going back to Conroe from there. It was very late and I hate 290 so I worried about them. On a side note.... Mark texted me the next morning to let me know they had made it home. Only Beka beat him to it, b/c I saw her on facebook that morning. It was good to know, just the same.

I slept with Maya in her room after I read a very long version of Cinderella. Maybe it just seemed long b/c I was so tired. The next day we got ready to go south of Austin to a baby shower Mary Ann was giving for her best friend of 20 years, Michele. She's due around my dad's birthday April 20th, so maybe.... how 'bout it Camden??

Because Michele's maiden name was McBee, the shower theme was honey bees. Mary Ann had worked very hard on this and I think she did a great job. Her friend, Jennifer helped her with the adorable diaper cake with an occasional bee bib, or bee washcloth and other little items. (sorry, I should have paid better attention to it) The edible cake was shaped as a honey beehive and they both had little bees attached to it here and there. The grandmothers were in charge of the food and it was delicious. Maya just happened to have a bumble bee costume which she was very eager to wear, but not so eager to enter into a home full of unknown faces. It took some coaxing from mom, and finding out her friend Madelyn was there dressed as Minnie Mouse.
Most important of all (not really) I was able to again hold Phoenix for an hour or so while Michele opened gifts. Yes, you say...an HOUR or SO?!? Yep, that little "Momma to bee" was really showered that day. I loved sharing this day with Michele, and Camden's grandmothers. I wish Michele and Christian the best.

I'm probably leaving stuff out or got something wrong, but it's how I remember it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but until...I'm done labeling.

1 comment:

  1. What sweet celebrations you are enjoying! I love that you get to attend parties as a grandma, as a mom, and as a daughter.

    ReplyDelete