Thursday, February 17, 2011

My Mother's 84th Birthday


Wayne and I went to Louisiana, Monday evening. Spent the next 2 days with my parents. My mother and I sometimes get giddy about nothing, it would seem to an outsider looking in. For instance....
Tuesday night I saw her fooling around with one of her curtain rods in their bedroom. It was a tension-rod and had fallen from the window. She was attempting to tighten it. Enter me to help of course....She was trying to move the screw that tightens, down the rod a bit, but all she said was "I need this to go that way" So being the helpful person I can be sometimes... I pulled on the other end of rod and pulled it out of the other rod. She cracked up and of course I cracked up too. She's laughing so hard she can't tell me what went wrong, which makes me laugh harder, which makes her laugh harder, which makes...well you get the picture. Ha! When she could finally tell me what she meant...I said "say what you mean and mean what you say" not thinking it would send us to "ha ha land" again. It did!!! We got the job done, but what could have taken 5 minutes took about 30 minutes because we couldn't stay out of "ha ha land".

She had 12 people all together for her birthday lunch and she insisted on cooking for this occasion. I said "why cook on your birthday????" She said "I want to cook while I still can." If I didn't look so much like her, I'd have to wonder if I was adopted. I didn't inherit any of those genes. Gracing her with their presence was:
her sister, Aunt June
her brother-in-law Uncle Henry (95 yr.old widower of her deceased sister, Margie)
her sister-in-law Aunt Bernice (widow of her brother, Russell)
her niece Gwen and her husband Charles (daughter of Russell)
her niece Marilyn (daughter of Henry and Margie)
her daughter Debbie and her husband Ralph
me and Wayne
my dad Chester
niece Cheryl (daughter of June)

She was on her feet from the time she got up that morning. She prepared a glorious meal consisting of: her famous hamburgers, fruit salad, coldslaw, green salad (hers), all the fixings for hamburgers, her famous strawberry shortcake (her mother's recipe), little individual pecan pies, and probably more that I can't remember. She had worked most of Tuesday on this also.
I hope she finally ate something. It was a lovely time but Wayne and I had to leave about 3:30 to get home to Conroe.

No comments:

Post a Comment