Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thursday Visit

Just a quick note, I'll write more later. Kathy has passed the stage of wanting to be woken up when you come visit. Visit but let her sleep if she's asleep. Sleep =no pain. This is moving faster everyday. Later.....
Well, live and learn . Wish there was hospice 101 we could take. When I got there Kathy was just waking up as was Roy and Pearl. It was time for more pain liquid meds, but she put up a little fuss with it so this daytime nurse, instead of fighting her, had the techs come put the little butterfly needle in with a tiny tube on the end to inject meds. One stick right?? Well, we thought yeah. And it was, but the meds going in sting or burn for a few seconds. Which of course hurts. She is in a recliner type chair with a tray over it, which suits her great, since she wants to sit. Last night and this morning she slept on 2 pillows on top of the tray. She had a lot of visitors today, and she did recognize them all. The problem with this is we tend to visit with one another. I went out to the outer waiting area when the room was full, but I am guilty of visiting too. (talking) When the nurse came in to check on her about 4:30 p.m. I mentioned she had been restless this afternoon. She gave some reply. I said "I want to be honest, is talking among one another keeping her from resting?" DUH!!! She said and I quote "you said it, I didn't. Yes mentally she wants to engage in the conversation, hence not resting" I didn't think about that, but I did think about the pain she's in and noise seeming aggravating. She talked of the "ministry of presence" letting her know you're there but being quite. And keep it one or maybe two (if you can resist carrying on a conversation) people in the room at a long period of time.
When I asked this question, Kathy sat straight up and opened her eyes!! Nurse asked her if the talking was too much and Kathy SMILED really big. BLESS HER PEA_PICKING HEART!! If that didn't tell all!! I hugged her and apologized for my part of talking.
Visitors were Jim Jackson, Sherri Henry, Kenneth Erwin, Mary Fowler, Jeff and Alecia Russell, Gerrie Schaefer, Tim Berwick, Inez Staton, Stacey, and I'll probably add more after tonight.

I'm off to spend the night with her. Father God, give her good rest tonight and Roy too.

I'm ashamed to admit all this, but it's the truth and the truth hurts sometimes! Unfortunately, the one it hurt was Kathy. Now don't get me wrong, the talk was soft for the most part with EVERYONE, but still annoying.

This is me labeling it as I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment