Whew!!! Today was a humdinger!! I bought another bell for the bed then met Betty LaVergne at south loop for her to follow me to Kathy's. We get there and the nurses were already there talking to Kristi in the kitchen while Betty visited with Roy and Kathy. Interesting things we learned today. Kathy continued her "misbehaving" (joking people!) thru the night, pulling the oxygen out and trying to get out of bed. We learned this was a sign of agitation and agitation was a sign of pain (or discomfort as Kathy would have it). Also there was a med in the "comfort pack" that was for one thing but also had a dual purpose which is to help her lucidness (if that's a word). Also heart rate or respiration being elevated is a sign of pain. Who knew?? They never told us these things, but I guess sometimes things happen and you deal with it. The aid came and gave her a bath, which was not very much fun for Kathy. She had wanted her hair washed but had no idea she was going to be drenched. And because she holds her head down, of course the water went --where??? We gave her a towel, but it only helped for a split second. I'm sorry Kathy, but now you feel better right?? right?? "yeah" in a soft voice. It's a task now to get her to move her feet even just to stand and turn a little to sit. Her sense of humor remains. At some point today, I was giving her her meds and she looked at me from the side with one eye and jerked her oxygen out and laughed. I put it back, she took it out with the same look and laughed. This went on about 4 times. I think it has something to do with Nurse Rachett!!! By afternoon, we couldn't coax her to take her meds or even drink anything. Her face has been itchy and we checked to see if she could take something for it and we could not get her to take it. So we called the nurse and she came out and our option was to take her to Odyssey House and keep her a couple of days to figure out what formula of meds would work for her. She could come back home then with the new formula to continue to keep her comfortable. This was a tough decision for Roy to make but with much discussion he was convinced this was the best solution for Kathy and that's what counted. To get her comfortable is the whole goal of hospice and they will do everything they can to reach that goal.
So about 6p.m. the ambulance picked her up to transport her to Odyssey House. Inez Staton rodewith her and her sister-in-law Pearl followed in her car. I followed shortly afterwards. Roy ate dinner and was going to spend the first night with her. The update I got from others there after me was she to be given something under the skin to give meds thru, but they didn't call it a picc line or an IV, so I won't know until morning.
Visitors today were Barbara Williams, Peggy Bowersox, Shirley Royal, Betty LaVergne, Inez Staton, Margaret O'Brian, Dianna Shinn, Sam and Carolyn Whigham, Mark Fuller, Mary Ann Fuller, Jim Jackson, Sherri Henry, Pearl. Surely left someone out. Let me know! Oh! also Bill Downs, Jim Jackson and Sherri Henry mowed and cleaned up back yard a bit. Kudos!!!!
I absolutely hate to see her hang her head in sleep. She says it feels good to massage her neck and shoulders, so I try to do that often, even holding her head in my hand while she sleeps.
Father God, you are who we rest in. Give Roy comfort and peace tonight. And give them both a good night's sleep. your timing is perfect and we surrender to you will.
This is me labeling as I see it.
No comments:
Post a Comment